Follow or Face My Wrath

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Things that I have seen and experienced lately

I don't have anything in particular to write about, so I just want to briefly share with you a few things I've discovered lately:

A band:
Bloodrock are a proto-metal band that sound kind of like a cross between Deep Purple and Pentagram (who is Pentagram?  Check them out here)  They produced 6 albums between 1971 and 1973, which is lightning fast, even by 70's standards.  The latter 5 albums are of debatable quality, containing only a few gems apiece, but the first album totally destroys.  Anyone who likes rock music that actually rocks should check it out.

A movie:
My gorgeous wife and I got pre-screening tickets to go see About Time; the latest film from the people who brought you Notting Hill and Love, Actually.  I really did like Love, Actually so I walked in assuming the movie would be at least alright.  I know this probably necessitates the immediate burning of my man card, but I actually like a good romantic comedy.  Personally, my manhood isn't threatened by laughing at the trials and tribulations one endures in the complicated dance that is human coupling.  I've been there, to some extent, so I can laugh at it.
ANYWAY, About Time was freaking brilliant.  One of the funniest movies I've seen in a while that wasn't a zany comedy in the vein of Anchorman or Zoolander.  It was also supremely heartbreaking towards the end.  I won't give you any spoilers, but suffice it to say that when I left the theater I wanted to immediately call my dad and tell him I loved him.  I didn't because that would be a bit random.
So you should go see this movie.  It's hilarious and if you don't get a little misty at parts your soul may have withered beyond repair.

A place:
Lately I've been taking long walks around my neighborhood to get some light exercise.  I've been having a lot of fun exploring the areas nearby, and I've even snuck into a few areas where I definitely wasn't supposed to be.  Which is fun, if you've never tried it.
Anyway, lo and behold, I've been living next to an enormous wildlife reserve for 2 1/2 years and I never even knew it.  It looks like an abandoned construction site from the road, but the Sepulveda Wildlife Area is actually surprisingly nice.  There's a great collection of trails, some built by the Parks department, others forged by bums making their way to and from their bum camps.  There is cool graffiti and a lot of little gray lizards and a lake and a HUGE dam you can climb around and some really nice little groves of trees around the several creeks that run through the area.  If you live in LA, you should come hike around and explore this place.

A tool:
Everyone these days knows what a QR code is, even if they don't know it by name.  It's one of those square codes with the dots in random patterns that you can scan with your phone.  It never even occurred to me to check this, but you can generate those for free online.  What would you use them for, you ask?  What wouldn't you use them for?  I reply.  It's a great tool to make your business' website easier to access, as well as any content you have that you want to draw people into.  You can make them bring up text, contact info, phone numbers, whatever.  I'm seriously considering getting a tattoo of one that includes my emergency info or maybe some kind of esoteric message.  So if you have a website or anything that you want people to know about, go to this site to generate one for free in like 2 seconds.

And those are the big items in my life lately.
What's going on in your life?

#life #discovery #rock #music #abouttime #movies #love #hiking #exploring #nature #wildlife #socialmarketing #fun

No comments:

Post a Comment